Chiropractic Care for Back Pain
Back pain is one of the most common ailments people suffer from. It can become frustrating and debilitating. However, chiropractic care can help. At Douglasdale Family Chiropractic in Calgary, AB, our team provides a variety of natural treatment methods for back pain and other conditions. Our goal is to help you return to a healthy, pain-free life.
Symptoms of Back Pain
Your back consists of muscles, bones, tendons, nerves, and ligaments that work hand in hand to ensure you can easily move around by supporting the body. When something goes amiss in any of these parts, you are likely to experience discomfort in the back region.
If you are suffering from lower back pain, you may experience pain that travels from the lower back and may go all way down to your hips and legs. Upper back pain may sometimes radiate to the neck, shoulders, and arms.
In some cases, back pain may resolve on its own within a few days. However, if you experience any of the following symptoms, visit our chiropractor as soon as possible:
- Pain that doesn’t respond to typical treatment
- Difficulty when urinating
- Trouble sleeping
- Swelling or inflammation in the back
- Tightness and sharp pain in the back
- Pain when walking or standing
- Numbness on the buttocks
Causes of Back Pain
Back pain can affect anyone, regardless of age. While some causes of back pain are unknown, below are some common causes of back pain:
- Ligament or muscle strain: Sudden awkward movements or lifting heavy materials may strain your spinal ligaments or back muscles, leading to painful muscle spasms. Accidents, sports, and work-related injuries may result in muscle strain.
- Ruptured or bulging disks: Disks separate vertebrae in the spine. A soft material found in the disk (cartilage) may rupture or bulge, pressing on a nerve. When the nerve is compressed, it results in back pain.
- Osteoarthritis: This condition causes the fluid in the discs to wear, leading to joint pain and stiffness.
- Spinal stenosis: This condition leads to narrowing of the spinal cord, compressing on the spinal nerves.
- Poor posture: Back pain may occur from everyday activities like walking, standing, or sitting, especially when you position yourself in an unnatural posture that strains the back.
The risk factors for back pain include age, occupation, pregnancy, certain medical conditions, and poor physical fitness.
How Our Chiropractor Can Help
When you first visit us, our chiropractor will perform a physical exam to look for the cause of your pain. After a diagnosis, we will create a personalized treatment plan for you. We often us chiropractic adjustments to alleviate back pain. Realigning the spine relieves tension and pressure in the back. We also provide acupuncture and massage therapy, which improve blood flow and reduce inflammation to promote healing.
Visit Our Chiropractor in Southeast Calgary, AB for Back Pain Treatment
If you are experiencing back pain, you don’t have to continue suffering. At Douglasdale Family Chiropractic in Calgary, AB, our chiropractor will alleviate your pain and help your body heal naturally. To schedule an appointment, call us today or use our online scheduling button.