Non-Invasive Treatment for Sciatica in Calgary
If you have been experiencing sciatica symptoms, you don't have to needlessly struggle with the pain. At Douglasdale Family Chiropractic, our chiropractors will help you reclaim your active lifestyle with less or even no sciatic nerve pain by using drug-free and non-invasive chiropractic treatments.
What Is Sciatica?
Sciatica happens when your sciatic nerve becomes compressed and irritated. Sciatica is often the result of a herniated or bulging disc, a narrowed joint space, or a bony cyst. You may experience numbness or tingling sensations in your lower back, hips, buttocks, or one or both legs.
The key symptoms of sciatica include:
- Shooting, searing, stabbing, or burning pain that radiates down into one or both legs
- Stiffness and pain in the lower back
- Pain that becomes worse with certain activities, or worse after standing for a long period
In advanced or prolonged cases of sciatica, weakness in the lower leg can develop as well. You might observe this as increased clumsiness or tripping, or an inability to raise your toes toward your shin. Some people with advanced sciatica also experience altered reflexes.
Risk Factors for Sciatica
While about anyone can get sciatica, it tends to happen more often in the older years as age-related changes in the spine can increase the risk of narrowing joints or disc damage. Other risk factors for sciatica include physically demanding work, frequent lifting or bending of the spine, traumatic accidents, and underlying health conditions including obesity and smoking.
How Our Chiropractors in Calgary Treat Sciatica
Sciatica relief is possible through chiropractic care! Our chiropractors offer several treatments that can alleviate your pain and inflammation, relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve, and prevent recurring irritation. These treatments include:
- Chiropractic adjustments: Used to gently realign the spine, restore normal disc alignment, and reduce the intensity of the pain signals sent through the nervous system.
- Acupuncture: This has been shown to trigger healing changes in multiple systems throughout the body to alleviate pain.
- Nutrition services: This helps to ensure you are consuming an optimized diet to guide your healing process.
Sciatic Nerve Pain Treatment in Calgary
The team at Douglasdale Family Chiropractic will help you achieve your optimal health and reduce your sciatica symptoms. Call us today at (403) 279-2229 to schedule a consultation with one of our chiropractors.